the legend

joyful rogger fedder

Friday, June 26, 2009

Djokovic happy to stay low-profile

Photo Titled Djokovic digs deep
Djokovic digs deep
Novak Djokovic took a step closer back to the limelight after disposing of American Mardy Fish in straight sets but may do so reluctantly having enjoyed life under the radar so far in this year’s Championships.

“Right now I feel quite okay, that people are not talking about me too often, which gives me a freedom to perform the best tennis I can on the court,” said the Serbian player.

The world No.4 certainly looked to be back to his best on Centre Court during his third round match and was always in the driving seat despite coming up against his most resilient opponent yet in these Championships.

“I was saying prior to the match that return is probably one of the key elements in the game against Mardy. And I think that element in the game was actually the best today from my side.

“I was making him always play an extra shot, which he obviously doesn't like. You know, he has a big serve and he gets a lot of free points on the serve. But since I returned that well, he was having a lot of ups and downs and very low first serve percentage in.”

Having benefited from a distinct lack of hype, Djokovic will undoubtedly find it more difficult to remain in the shadows during week two where he is likely to face sterner tests both on and off the court.

So far it has been firm favourite Roger Federer and home champion Andy Murray who have hogged the headlines, but as the competitors are gradually whittled down Djokovic could yet attract the increased level of attention that followed his Australian Open victory in 2008.

“I got extreme amount of the pressure and obviously expectations on each event I play on. I had to get used to that and set my mind that the people are looking at me always as one of the favorites in each event I play.

“I didn't cope with that pressure really well in the start of this season, so maybe I lost myself a little bit there. But again, think I'm enjoying it. I do something that I love to do and I’m successful in.”

“Today I performed the best match so far in Wimbledon, which is really encouraging. Match after match I play better, which is always a positive fact.”

The Serbian player looks to be regaining much of the confidence, that has been so apparently absent of late and that could yet prove to be his most potent weapon with Federer likely to be waiting at the semi-final stage.

“I'm taking every match one at a time. I'm really happy and satisfied with today's performance. You know, if I play like today, I think I have a good chances to get far in the second week.

“If I perform like that, there is no reason to underestimate me,” he said.


No comments:

Post a Comment