the legend

joyful rogger fedder

Friday, June 26, 2009

One to watch: Ana Ivanovic

Photo Titled Ivanovic on the attack
Ivanovic on the attack

Ana Ivanovic knew she was under pressure at Wimbledon when she had to save two match points in the first round against Lucie Hradecka of the Czech Republic in the gloom of the evening on a back court.

She moved to a higher ranked court in the second round to defeat the Italian Sara Errani and now has to lift her challenge again to play the 18th seeded Australian, Samantha Stosur, for a place in the last 16 of The Championships.

Ivanovic, the girl from Serbia who has the 2008 French title as her major success, has been in the semi-finals once at Wimbledon when she lost to Venus Williams.

Now it is a question of whether she can expand her game at this Wimbledon where five days of sunny weather have left the courts quicker than usual. Ivanovic has to be ready for that test, to become a little more adventurous and to do a shade more work in the forecourt if she needs to dominate.

She says: “For me, I find that it’s really important to stay in the moment and realise that every day it’s a different opponent and different match and not every day do you feel good.

“Even if you feel great, just to go back to basics and work hard for each point.That’s what I was doing the last couple of matches and it makes me feel much more comfortable out there.

“I have lots of confidence from my practice session because I have been practising well for a long time but I just never managed to back it up in my matches.But I feel this week that I made some big steps. I just feel I need to allow myself some time and be patient and work hard.

“Samantha is obviously on a great roll. She played semis in the French Open and she’s tough opponent, especially on grass. She serves and volleys a lot. It’s going to be a tough game. But I enjoy competing and I enjoy challenges. But serve and volley, I don’t think it’s my style of game.”


No comments:

Post a Comment