the legend

joyful rogger fedder

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Serena sees the bigger picture

I

Photo Titled Serena on Centre Court
The number two seed, Serena Williams, rallying during her opening round Centre Court encounter against Nueza Silva of Portugal.

t is highly unlikely that Serena Williams will need to rethink her career following her annihilation of Jarmila Groth on No.1 Court this afternoon but the American is already mapping out her future as a writer.

Being a multiple Grand Slam champion and fashion designer is clearly not enough for the younger Williams sister, who admits she has already written three parts of a television script.

“I’ve always been a writer, like a storyteller writer,” she revealed in her press conference.

“I call it ‘my treatment’, so I’m working on my treatment now. I was going to do it yesterday, but I started watching [television show] Dexter and I got a little sidetracked. You know what, today’s a good day. I can write. I was really in the mood yesterday. For me it’s about being in the mood and how I’m feeling.”

But Williams will not be writing the sequel to Wimbledon the movie soon, stating writing for television as her destiny.

“It’s like a mixture between some of my favourite shows, like Desperate Housewives and Sex and the City, and actually Family Guy,” she admits. “It’s kind of those put together in one, if you can imagine.”

Many might think the latest news is nothing to write home about – the Williams sisters have received acres of press coverage in the past for their outside interests – but Serena is serious. She even has an agent.

“This is a real blessing. What I was told to do is just kind of write down my ideas. That’s what I was told to do, just write my story, the first episode, just to get them the idea. And then I would turn it in and someone will put it into treatment format. So that way they’ll put it into a script, but it would be my writing.”

So if Williams was writing a movie about herself, what would be the opening scene of that film?

“There are definitely so many options,” she confesses. “I don’t know. I think I would open a scene holding a championship and then I would rewind time. I think those stories are told well.”

For now, in between penning her script, Serena has the small matter of Wimbledon to contend with. But one thing’s for certain. If she continues to serve up Oscar-winning performances, such as her victory today, she will be the one writing the Wimbledon script without even lifting a pen.


No comments:

Post a Comment