the legend

joyful rogger fedder

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Johansson calls time on career


U.S. Open - Day 3


Former Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson has announced his retirement from tennis.

The 34-year-old Swede beat Marat Safin to claim his only Grand Slam crown in 2002 but he has struggled with a succession of injuries.

"After a lot of thought, I've decided to end my professional tennis career with immediate effect," Johansson, a former world number seven, said on the ATP's website.

"Last Autumn, I underwent yet another operation for a foot injury and, one month ago, I became a father for the second time."

Johansson claimed eight ATP titles and also won Olympic silver the in doubles with Simon Aspelin in Beijing in 2008.

He also made the semi-finals at Wimbledon in 2005 where he lost to Andy Roddick.

"Looking back at my life as a tennis professional, I'm very pleased with all that I have achieved on the tennis court," he added.

"As a junior I dreamed of getting the chance to play on the big tennis stages around the world. This dream came true for me many times, not least, when I won the Australian Open Grand Slam title in Melbourne.

"Despite being unlucky with injuries during my career, which were very tough and frustrating for me, I'm very pleased that I was able to fight my way back into the top 10 on two occasions, reaching a career high of seven.

"Now the journey has come to an end and it is time for me and my wonderful family to go down another path to new destinations.

"I still love tennis and wish to share my knowledge and experience with Swedish tennis in the future."

No comments:

Post a Comment