the legend

joyful rogger fedder

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Murray lets his tennis do the talking


Photo Titled Andy Murray
Andy Murray

Andy Murray could not help but focus on the set he lost after he survived a wobble to beat Robert Kendrick in four sets.

“I’ve played him a few times so I knew what to expect,” said the number three seed of the American. “I was disappointed to lose the second set because I had a couple of chances and didn’t take them. He didn’t really have any chances on my serve in the second. I was expecting him to go for some big shots. He pulled some off at the end of the second set and he served well for three sets.

“But in the whole match he had two break points. When you’re serving like that and not giving someone too many opportunities, it’s easier to stay calm because you’re the one that’s creating the opportunities. Sometimes in five-set matches on grass it takes a bit longer to get the breakthrough. But once I did, I felt good. Staying calm was a huge part of winning because he came up with some huge serves and that can get frustrating.”

He was certainly unruffled when an official asked that he cover the brand name on a water bottle he was using on court because it was not in line with the official Wimbledon water supplier.

“I definitely didn’t get a ticking off,” he explained. “I use litre-and-a-half bottles for my energy drink. I was still allowed to use the bottles, I just had to take the label off. It happens at a lot of tournaments. I’ve had to do it quite a lot of times this year. Normally we take them off before the match but sometimes we forget.”

Murray, who has of course had huge domestic media attention in the build-up to The Championships, is sanguine that he is the only British male left in the draw.

“It’s disappointing but I’m not worrying about what those guys are doing. I’m worrying about my own tennis. Whether there are 10 Brits in or just one, I’m still just going to take care of my own business. If you don’t do that you get distracted. I need 100% focus on myself in the next couple of weeks.”

That is probably why he can take with a large pinch of salt the reported comments of 1987 Wimbledon champion Pat Cash, who is said to have described the Scot as “boring” and having a “monotonous” voice.

“I don’t really care,” smiled Murray. “I’ve said I don’t think my voice is particularly interesting but I let my tennis do the talking. I think my tennis is exciting.”


No comments:

Post a Comment