the legend

joyful rogger fedder

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Relaxed Serena has one eye on Venus




Photo Titled Sister's successful
Sister's successful

Serena Williams rates her sister Venus as the greatest grass court player of their generation and the most dangerous player in the ladies' draw. Last year's beaten finalist said the defending champion was the player everyone was worried about.

"She has an amazing serve and I think that helps a lot. She has an amazing return and she’s really fast. She has long arms, so she just gets everything back," the 2nd seed said.

"It's hard playing a player like that, especially on the grass when it’s a faster surface and you have that much less time to react.

"She's an extremely smart player as well, so she’s always thinking and knowing what to do."

Serena, who won the 2008 US Open, the 2009 Australian Open and was a quarter-finalist at the French Open earlier this month, said she was "confident" and "relaxed" heading into The Championships. At the start of the year, Serena reached the semi-finals or better in her first five tournaments but since then her best performance was at the French Open.

"No matter what happens I feel happy. I've been just training on the hard court in the United States and doing lots of training. It's what I’ve done in the past eight, nine years, so I think it works for me."

On the issue of grunting, Serena said she just tried to play her game: "I grunt sometimes; sometimes I don't.

"It's definitely not conscious. It’s more just – I guess it’s effort level. I think I always give 100% but sometimes I'm so zoned I don't grunt. Sometimes I'm so zoned that I do grunt. Whatever way it is, I just don’t know when it's coming."

Former champion Michael Stich has reportedly criticised female players for over-playing their sex appeal and when asked for a response, Serena said: "Sex sells."

"I think Angelina Jolie is great. She's hot. She's super sexy. Everyone wants to see her, male or female."

The 27-year-old said she had been saddened by the news that men’s champion Rafael Nadal would not defend his title.

"I'm a huge Nadal fan. But I’m sure there’s a lot of guys on the men’s tour who were probably celebrating and partying."

No comments:

Post a Comment