the legend

joyful rogger fedder

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Roddick hopeful over ankle injury


AEGON Championship - Day Six


Andy Roddick says he will be fit for Wimbledon after retiring during his AEGON Championship semi-final against James Blake.

Roddick twisted his ankle in the third game and although he tried to continue, he was forced to withdraw with the scores level at 4-4 in the opening set.

"I'm going to do everything I can to play at Wimbledon," said Roddick.

"We're scheduled to get it looked at again tomorrow and do some scans on it and see where we're at, but initial tests showed the stability and strength was okay.

"We're looking at days, not weeks. My trainer and doctors don't think anything is torn.

"I was just going back after I hit the shot, and there's a difference in height between where the grass court ends and where the concrete goes, and I just unfortunately stepped at a bad angle.

"It kind of just twisted a little bit. Running straight ahead was all right but side to side was suspect.

"I was hoping I could walk it off and it would go away, but that wasn't the case. I don't like the feeling of walking out of a match at all.

"Obviously with the bigger picture in mind, I could only make it worse out there. I wasn't going to help my prospects at Wimbledon at all by going through the motions out there and moving at 20 or 30% of what I can."

No comments:

Post a Comment