the legend

joyful rogger fedder

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Murray surprised by roof decision

Photo Titled Gritty Murray
Gritty MurraY

Andy Murray has said he was surprised by the All England Club's decision to play his fourth round match with Stanislas Wawrinka under the Centre Court roof.

Murray only found out that his fourth round meeting with the Swiss No.2 would be played under the new roof , when the Dinara Safina v Amelie Mauresmo match finished.

“To do the warm-ups right beforehand you knew it was dry,” said Murray. “We were expecting to play without the roof, and then obviously it came.

"I was surprised because we'd asked: 'When are you gonna let us know if we're gonna play under the roof or not?' They said they would let us know as soon as the match was finished. And then, you know, it's quite tough as well to judge.

“I had never played a grass court match indoors before and it made a difference.”

Murray looked out of sorts as Wawrinka adjusted to the high temperatures better and the Swiss took the first set 6-2.

“It was very, very heavy and very humid. I was sweating so much,” he said. “I know it was hot outside today, but I was sweating a lot inside. I noticed it very early. Both of us were trying to get white towels from the locker room because our hands were drenched. When I finished it felt like I'd been in a bath.

“It slowed the play down a lot, and I struggled to serve because it wasn't coming off the strings that quickly.

“There was a lot more rallies in that match. I got very few free points from my serve when it did go in. You can really swing very hard at the ball and it can go into the net or no-where at all. It's very different.”

But Murray recovered from his slow start to take the next second and third sets. Despite a Wawrinka comeback in the fourth set, the 3rd seed had enough left in the tank to see out the match in the deciding set.

That prompted Murray to declare: “I believe I can win Wimbledon.”

The man from Dunblane, who plays Juan Carlos Ferrero in the quarter-finals on Wednesday, added: “That's not changed since the first match. But I'm going have to play great tennis to do it. I had to play some great tennis tonight to come back, because Stan was playing some unbelievable tennis at the start.”

And Wawrinka agreed that Murray has what it takes to triumph on Sunday.

“He's playing very well, especially on grass and has improved a lot the last 12 months," Wawrinka said.

“Today I was close, but he won the match. I think for the rest of the tournament he's ready, but you can’t forget the other player. Roger is still there, and I think it can be a very nice final.”


No comments:

Post a Comment